Thread: Need help with p0748 and p0442 codes on a bmw m3

My Cars
    bmw m3

Need help with p0748 and p0442 codes on a bmw m3

I pulled the codes on my bmw m3 1997 and i got a p0442 Evaporative emission system leak and a p0748 Pressure control solenoid A electrical, does the second one have anything to do with the tranny, and are these codes easy to fix, please help, I found the car for my nephew to buy for 9000, so i feel kinda responsible, being that he had the car one day when these codes showed up. thank you
    Kris

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Lux
    Just fought with that p0442 code with my 96 M3 for some time. It ended up being the evap tank located behind the shroud in the right hand rear wheel well. After a new gas cap did not cure the problem, I did some searching and found it is a common problem with the E36.

Seems that the plastic nipple on top of the tank breaks with age and cause the leak and then the DTC code p0442. The cost is around $90 for the tank from on-line sources.

My Cars
    95 m3
    Good advice, Just did one yesterday! If you want to save 90 bucks there should be a brass metal liner in the insert that you can pull out, if you don"t have a drill index take it to your local hardware store and buy a bit about a thousndth over the diameter of the brass insert and drill out the receptical in the canister to match because the usually break off right at the end of the brass insert about 1/2 inch from the can and then just epoxy them together with the brass insert about halfway inserted into the new bore on the canister. When fixed this way I have never had one come back! The pressure sensor is right there anyways so I sometimes replace them at that time just because. The other spot for an evap leak is right in front of the drivers side engine compartment where the hose comes forward up to a solenoid right on the lower strut housing under the intake manifold sometimes the hose is cracked. It also runs up to another solenoid right under the #1 intake runner check that hose also.

My Cars
    95 m3
    by the way the solenoid on the strut housing is the evap purge valve and the solenoid under or should I say between 1&2 intake runners right by the head is your evap shutoff valve and is usually to blame. Sometimes just the process of unplugging and replugging in the electical connectors will solve the problem.

My Cars
    97' 318i , 96' 328i
    hmm, just did a auto tranny swap and fluid filter change, all new fluid. Coming up with P0748. Its my daily driver so actually a bit stressed. Did you ever figure it out?