PDA

View Full Version : Panic mode for EU spec car with they "keyfob" system?

MParallel
06-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Hope you guys don't mind asking here.

For years I have been wondering what the missing pin #9 would be for on the connector on the rearview mirror's base.

Last night I found a BMW seminar document explaining the BMW radio remote control system, the system with the receiver inside the mirror and which uses the 3-button keyfob (key and fob in one).

As it explains both the EU and US spec system and has a nice wiring diagram that lists the connector to pcb scheme, I found out the US system has a panic mode function, which is activated through pin 9 on the connector.

Now this made me wonder if my EU car (which is an E36, but uses that system) might actually put out a signal if I keep the interior lights-on button pressed, but there simply is no wire to do anything with it.

Now my car does not have a separate alarm model. I don't know if EU spec E31's also have it all integrated into the ZKE (GM) or not.

I have not seen any NCS related option regarding panic mode, but with the above info I could possibly be that it's already there, just not connected, and by installing a pin 9 in the connector and routing this to the pin on the ZKE that triggers the alarm, might give panic mode.

But this is likely beyond my electronic skills.

For reference, here is a link to the Seminar Arbeitsmaterial doc for those interested.

http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de/forum/download/file.php?id=6719&sid=d429db144f8336d98985a272c160c1e0

radlaw
06-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Now, if we could only get someone to translate the document, or at least the pin designations on page 14.

revtor
06-09-2014, 09:58 AM
I can't speak for the E36, but in the E31 panic mode can be enabled or disabled through coding. In DIS (with programming) or SSS: "[3] ZCS/FA CODING" --> "[1] E31 Series" --> "[4] Conversion" --> "[6] FKS" --> "[1] Panic Mode". The feature is enabled by default for US E31 and disabled for all other market versions. Panic mode only works in conjunction with the DWA4 alarm system.

MParallel
06-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Yes so I wonder if EU E31's already have all the wiring in place and you can simply enable it in NCS without doing anything else.

The DWA3/4/5 systems are with separate modules, but my into the ZKE integrated system also has a trigger wire. So if the output of that pin is the same as the trigger wire it should in theory be possble.

First thing to find out anyways, is if a longpress on my fob
results in a signal on one of the remaining pins on the pcb connector that has no wire on it currently.

Omega man 1969
06-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Link is forbidden, could you post th contents please.

MParallel
06-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Paste it in download manager or something similar and it should download the pdf. I did it that way and I'm no member on that forum.

Omega man 1969
06-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Paste it in download manager or something similar and it should download the pdf. I did it that way and I'm no member on that forum.

:-) got it, thanks !

revtor
06-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Yes so I wonder if EU E31's already have all the wiring in place and you can simply enable it in NCS without doing anything else.
For E31 manufactured after DWA4 was introduced (September 1993) definitely yes.

MParallel
06-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Could you possibly confirm where pin 9 on the connector goes to on the pcb?

I just noticed the diagram list 10 wires, but the schematic only shows 9 and it's not 100% clear which on is omitted. It looks to be pin 10, which is the ground wire.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, if we could only get someone to translate the document, or at least the pin designations on page 14.

Can't have a BMW as a hobby car and don't understand German. :)

Here's the translation of the pinout:

1. Reverse light +12v (so mirror fully undimms when reversing)
2. Battery +12v
3. Switched +12v (key position 1)
4. Diagnostics wire Txd
5. Central lock - unlock signal
6. Central lock - lock signal
7. Door contact switch (to turn on interior lights)
8. Diagnostics wire Rxd
9. Alarm trigger wire (for Panic mode)
10. Ground

radlaw
06-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Can't have a BMW as a hobby car and don't understand German. :)

Here's the translation of the pinout:

1. Reverse light +12v (so mirror fully undimms when reversing)
2. Battery +12v
3. Switched +12v (key position 1)
4. Diagnostics wire Txd
5. Central lock - unlock signal
6. Central lock - lock signal
7. Door contact switch (to turn on interior lights)
8. Diagnostics wire Rxd
9. Alarm trigger wire (for Panic mode)
10. Ground

Danke schön

MParallel
06-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Kein problem :)

MParallel
06-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Just realized my car's wiring loom already has 10 wires going to the mirror. It's just that on the mirror's side slot 9 has no pin it.

That would mean that there already is a connection to my ZKE and that in theory, but inserting a pin in slot 9 of the mirror connector and wiring it to the correct pinout on the RC PCB inside the mirror, may all that is needed to have the panic function enabled.

The PCB looks the same. Unless it's coded out in the hardware. But still interesting though BMW does fit a wiring loom with 10 wires going to the mirror in the first place.

To be continued.

radlaw
06-16-2014, 11:44 AM
It's just that on the mirror's side slot 9 has no pin it.

Are you sure it's #9 and not #7? It might be easier to explain if it's #7 pin.

MParallel
06-16-2014, 12:01 PM
No pin 7 is the door contact, which is the pin that activates the interior lights. This function is our function and button symbol. Longpressing that button does nothing.

But might actually put out something that can go to that pin 9. (and that trainings manual indicates pin 9 is Panic Mode) which is what we didn't get.

MParallel
07-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Ok one last question here. I just want to rule this out before I can put this to rest.

I noticed my car's wiring loom actually has 10 wires going to the mirror socket, even though pin 9 (Panic mode) is not used on our cars with ZKE integrated alarm.

This means I already have a wire going from the ZKE that ends up in the pin 9 position.

So the only part that is omitted, is the part inside the mirror. So just to rule it out, I would really like to know on what internal pin, the wire that comes from pin 9 on the mirror side connects to.

With any luck, if I fit a 10th wire in (in #9 position) and wire it up to one of the available pins on the internal RC PCB board, who knows it might just work.

toomanyparts
07-21-2014, 11:02 PM
I have a receiver from inside the mirror and can take a picture. I actually need some help with the wiring myself.

Show me yours (10 pin loom in headliner) and I'll show you mine (ten pin inside mirror)!

MParallel
07-22-2014, 04:51 AM
I have a receiver from inside the mirror and can take a picture. I actually need some help with the wiring myself.

Show me yours (10 pin loom in headliner) and I'll show you mine (ten pin inside mirror)!

Thanks. I will have to double check if the rest of the pins are the same. I doubt though they are not identical bar the missing pin 9 for me and 7 for you.

What exactly do you want to know. There is not much to see on just my mirror/car connector. Then I can probably give you the answer you are looking for.

revtor
07-22-2014, 08:42 AM
MParallel: Here you go...

http://tweakers.net/ext/f/3lDov0TpupcHP5XqUjeQ0DnK/full.jpg

Pictured above is the connector that plugs directly onto the remote locking receiver PCB inside the rear-view mirror. I couldn't find any pin numbers or even pin 1 marking on the connector, so the pins are identified by the wire colors. The colors are the same between the years except for the ground wire between the remote locking receiver PCB and the electrochromic mirror PCB - it's brown or blue depending on the model of the mirror. X13139 is the connector in the arm of the rear-view mirror.

The Siemens 5WK4 577 radio frequency remote locking receiver was used in following rear-view mirrors so the picture above should apply to all of these:

E31 from 09/1993 (US) and from 01/1995 (ECE)
E34 from 09/1993 (US)
E36 from 01/1995 (US and ECE)
For those interested, the microcontroller on the remote locking receiver PCB is a Motorola MC68HC05B6 (early production) or MC68HC05B8 (late production).

MParallel
07-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Wow that is about the perfect picture. That shows exactly what I need to know. Gonna test it right away after work as I just need to know.

toomanyparts
07-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Thanks. I will have to double check if the rest of the pins are the same. I doubt though they are not identical bar the missing pin 9 for me and 7 for you.

What exactly do you want to know. There is not much to see on just my mirror/car connector. Then I can probably give you the answer you are looking for.

Just need to see a picture with wiring colors for the 10 pon connector on the chassis side. I had to depin mine at one point and afraid I may have repinned it backwards.

revtor
07-22-2014, 01:22 PM
toomanyparts: The car-side of the 10-pin connector (X13139) is covered in the electrical troubleshooting manual (ETM). Refer to page 6610.1-00 of the 1995 ETM (applies to your 1997 E31 as well). The abbreviations for the color names are explained on page 0140.0-01.

toomanyparts
07-22-2014, 02:08 PM
toomanyparts: The car-side of the 10-pin connector (X13139) is covered in the electrical troubleshooting manual (ETM). Refer to page 6610.1-00 of the 1995 ETM (applies to your 1997 E31 as well). The abbreviations for the color names are explained on page 0140.0-01.

Revtor, thank you very much. How did you become such a electrical guru?

Best,

Mike

CaifanSC
07-22-2014, 02:52 PM
So does the panic mode do anything else than sound the alarm? I thought most bmw's had that

correction, I just remembered the third button on most other cars (if not all others) is the trunk release button.

revtor
07-22-2014, 03:02 PM
So does the panic mode do anything else than sound the alarm? I thought most bmw's had that
Only US bimers have panic mode and, yes, the only thing happening is sounding the alarm. The primary function of the third button on the remote is to switch on the interior lights. Short press = interior lights (all market versions), long press = panic mode (US only). Opening the trunk would have been a much more useful application...

CaifanSC
07-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Only US bimers have panic mode and, yes, the only thing happening is sounding the alarm. The primary function of the third button on the remote is to switch on the interior lights. Short press = interior lights (all market versions), long press = panic mode (US only). Opening the trunk would have been a much more useful application...

I remember reading about the panic mode in the manual, but i missed the part about the interior lights. I agree though, trunk button would have been better...and we wouldn't have to buy an entire key if that little light/panic button starts coming appart. The replacements for those inserts have the trunk emblem.

MParallel
07-22-2014, 08:22 PM

correction, I just remembered the third button on most other cars (if not all others) is the trunk release button.

It does on E46/E38/E39 models. And keeping the button pressed triggers the alarm. You never know when it ever comes in handy.

I just check my mirror and realized I haave mixed up sides. My mirror already has 10 pins on it. There is no wire connected to pin #9 on the car's side.

Well with the NCS coding now being succesful, I might actually have one more option. There should be a couple of pins left on the ZKE X13254 connector that are alarm related (window monitoring).

With some luck, hooking up a wire to one of these and using the output from the remote PCB, it may trigger the alarm.

Not sure it the ETM actually shows it, but I can never see in these diagrams if for example a certain alarm input like the tilt or interior sensor, are +12v or ground triggers. Or maybe even a special "signal" trigger.

I hate to just randomly connect wires as you don't want to blow up fuses or worse, modules.

revtor
07-23-2014, 02:47 AM
It does on E46/E38/E39 models.
European bimmers do not have panic mode, nor acoustic locking and unlocking confirmations. If you have one that does, it was recoded or equipped with an aftermarket alarm system.

MParallel
07-23-2014, 06:47 AM
European bimmers do not have panic mode, nor acoustic locking and unlocking confirmations. If you have one that does, it was recoded or equipped with an aftermarket alarm system.

Yes and that is exactly that you can code so easily thanks to your NCS Dummy. I have the factory alarm (ZKE, no DWA module) and this ZKE IV has functions for acoustic locking/unlocking from factory. It's simply set to nicht_aktiv.

I changed this on both my E36's last week thanks to your NCS Dummy. (and more).

I also "unlock" interior monitoring on the ZKE IV and tested it with a Z3 Radar module. Works perfectly. So now I also have interior protection on the factory alarm system, which (at least convertibles) never came with. (I found out that the Z3 Roadster had radar interior protection and uses the ZKE IV as well, so after that it was putting 1 and 1 together).

Love this stuff.

radlaw
09-08-2014, 01:29 PM
http://tweakers.net/ext/f/3lDov0TpupcHP5XqUjeQ0DnK/full.jpg
1) What is the function of the Yellow wire, terminal R, that is in pin 3?
2) Does the Ground (brown or blue) wire have a function in the remote locking receiver/PCB board, or is it just a connection for the EC mirror?
3) Where can the wires that go from the remote locking receiver to the harness connector be bought?
4) Doesn't the blue wire in pin 7 go to the ZKE/GM module in E31's?

Omega man 1969
09-08-2014, 01:54 PM
How about using the interior light function of the alarm to unlock the trunk, should be fairly easy to do.

revtor
09-08-2014, 03:17 PM
Revtor: What is the function of the Yellow wire, terminal R, that is in pin 3? Does the Ground (brown or blue) wire have a function in the remote locking receiver/PCB board, or is it just a connection for the EC mirror, and what pin does it go to, if any?
None of the wires for the electrochromic mirror are of importance to the remote locking receiver and vice versa, but the remote locking receiver PCB is used as a pass-through for power and ground of the electrochromic mirror PCB.

The yellow wire tells the remote locking receiver the ignition switch is in accy, run or start (= terminal R). The yellow wire is also connected to the red wire through the remote locking receiver PCB and provides power to the electrochromic mirror PCB. The brown wire is connected to the blue or brown wire through the remote locking receiver PCB and provides ground to the electrochromic mirror PCB.

radlaw
09-08-2014, 03:30 PM
None of the wires for the electrochromic mirror are of importance to the remote locking receiver and vice versa, but the remote locking receiver PCB is used as a pass-through for power and ground of the electrochromic mirror PCB.

The yellow wire tells the remote locking receiver the ignition switch is in accy, run or start (= terminal R). The yellow wire is also connected to the red wire through the remote locking receiver PCB and provides power to the electrochromic mirror PCB. The brown wire is connected to the blue or brown wire through the remote locking receiver PCB and provides ground to the electrochromic mirror PCB.

I separated the 3 EC wires (grey, brown or blue, & red) from the remote locking receiver and they go directly to the mirror. This bypasses the PCB bypass function. Everything works except communication with DIS. Could this be why DIS does not communicate with the Radio/IF module?

revtor
09-08-2014, 03:42 PM
radlaw: No. Ignore the electrochromic wiring for now - it's not relevant for diagnostics.

If you still have the original, unbutchered, rear-view mirror or another one that's compatible with the E31, you may want to test that first. If diagnostics do not work for the original/compatible rear-view mirror, there might be a wiring issue elsewhere. If diagnostics do work the problem is between X13139 and your standalone remote locking receiver.

MParallel
01-06-2016, 04:46 AM
A little old, but a little update I did a while ago.

I decided to ditch the panic alarm idea, as it will simply will not be possible. Maybe with a US E31 PCB, but the US uses a different frequency for the remote. I expect this to be hardcoded in the chip and not adjustable (Revtor or anyone any idea what the 2 little potmeter on the pcb control?)

I retrofitted a later model compass mirror a few years ago, but put the old remote receiver under the dash on my 328i back then.

In the meantime I fitted the pcb from the stock EC mirror into the compass mirror (it's without Homelink that has no use for me anyways, so the left side of the housing is empty and so the perfect (and same) spot to put the remote PBC in.

Now since the mirror also comes with a nice DWA led (flat version) I wanted to use this. This way the alarm led is visible from far away, while the stock led in front of the gearstick is only visible if you look inside the car. Pretty useless and this way, also frees up a space for another switch.

Now after some real hard puzzling, the unused pin #9 on the EU mirror (panic mode wire for US) I now use this as the ground wire for the alarm led (this is actually the led trigger wire from the ZKE4) as the +12v for the alarm led. Since there already is a battery +12v supply to the mirror, I internally passed this through to the +12v side of the LED.

This way I didn't need to run an extra (11th) wire to the mirror, which would not make it plug and play.

I can now transfer the mirror from one E36 to another plug and play, with everything (remote/auto dimm/compass/led) working.

Of course you do need to run the ground trigger wire from the ZKE4 to the mirror.

http://idon-industries.com/bimmer/m3/various_2015/10.jpg

In the 328i
http://idon-industries.com/bimmer/various/projects/compass_mirror/12.jpg

toomanyparts
01-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Very nice work.