PDA

View Full Version : X5 FAQ, common problems and model year changes

GSXRliterbikz
02-20-2011, 02:22 PM
So it seems like there is a new thread every week or so asking what some common problems are on the either the X3 or 5.
Having done a fair amount of research and owning a Bently manual on the X5 I thought I would start a thread on Common problems and what the changes were through the different model years.

If you see anything wrong or have anything to add, post it.

So to start with, model changes...
2000, introduced with a 4.4l and optional small screen navi.
2001, 3.0l introduced with either automatic or 5 speed manual. New 16:9 nav screen

2002, 4.6is debut. 4.4 hp bumped up to 290. Adjustable ride height option added. Powered rear seat backs added

2003, Adaptive brake lights added (according to Bentley, I never noticed), Nav updated to DVD based maps.

2004, Facelift. New X-drive AWD system. N62 valvetronic 4.4 introduced. 4.8is replaces 4.6is. 3.0l got a 6 speed manual and v8's got new 6 speed auto. New headlights, tails, and Halo's (angel eye's).

2005, Auto dimming mirrors and compass. Pano sunroof. Xenon adaptive headlights with auto leveling. PDC becomes standered on 4.4l's.

2006, New interior bits and exterior wheels and colors.

Engines
M54 3.0 (2001-06) HP 225
TQ 214 or 293
(Bentley has 2 different numbers, I doubt its 293)

M62 TU 4.4l (2000-03) HP up to 01, 282
02 and 03, 290
TQ 324
M62 TU 4.6is (02-03) HP 340
TQ 350
N62 (04-06) HP 315
TQ 324
N62 4.8is (04-06) HP 355
TQ 360
Bentley manual says all X5's have air suspension in rear and sports have front and rear. I disagree though. My non sport 04 doesn't have any air suspension.

On to common problems.
-Cold weather crankcase vents condensate water and freeze up. There is an updated design now that minimizes the problem.
-Excessive camber in rear wheels that's made worse by large diameter wheels.
-Door carriers are prone to break.
-The usual cooling system woes. Usually need to be overhauled around 100k. M62's sometimes have leaky valley pans under the intake. To check, look for coolant on the trans. bellhousing. 3.0l's have plastic impellers on the water pumps.
-N62 has a water pipe under the intake that will leak at higher mileage. Its a royal PITA to fix. From what I hear though, BMW extended the warranty on this problem to 100k. Also there is an aftermarket company that makes an updated pipe that has more o-rings and can twist and expand into place, alleviating the need to rip apart the motor.
-V8's have a composite plastic timing chain guide rails that wear out. Most dont make it much past 150k.
-Air suspension can be a bit of a pain. Every used one I looked at had either 1 or 2 bad bags or had just had new ones put in.
-False tail light out warnings. Here is a link to my fix. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1558664
Feel free to chime in with other problems or features I missed. Maybe if we get a good comprehensive list we could get a Mod. to sticky it up top.
Also, maybe someone can start one for the X3.

marguli
07-02-2011, 02:38 PM
how much power do you need to tie up the hub spendle nuts on the steering axle for BMW X5 3.0i

GSXRliterbikz
07-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Bently says 420 Nm, 310 ft-lb. Replace nut (one time use).

So in laymens terms, REALLY TIGHT. I dont think my tq wrench goes that high.

BmwX504
08-05-2011, 11:04 AM
any common problems/ service that needs to be done on an 04 x5 with 85k?

BmwX504
08-05-2011, 11:04 AM
any common problems/ service that needs to be done on an 04 x5 with 85k?

jeffcfp1
08-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Carriers are major issues with the E53 as mentioned by GSX (great thread, btw). As an owner of five BMW's, less than 12 mos of ownership hasn't left a very good taste in my mouth concerning these vehicles - much less reliable than my other BMWs. Two carriers, crankcase vent and a/c condensor fan (part alone $480), needed to have dealer buddy diagnose. Only 65k on her, hoping close to done with the common problems...

jclark5671
08-28-2011, 12:51 PM
X5 drivers seat will not adjust

GSXRliterbikz
08-28-2011, 01:09 PM
X5 drivers seat will not adjust

That's not exactly a common problem

Sent from my SCH-R880 using BF.com

Anthonyg71
09-10-2011, 10:39 PM
My 2001 X5 is having tons of window problems. The window regulator broke in the rear driver side and the drivers side window seems like it is stuck. Does anybody might know what is wrong with my driver side window?

mikestik
09-17-2011, 10:06 PM
I recently test drove eight X5's before buying one....all were 2003-2006. Every one of them equipped with 4.4 engine would rattle upon initial startup- lack or absence of oil pressure....usually only for 2-5seconds. Is this common, or is someone in our area selling faulty oil filters?

GSXRliterbikz
09-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Thats the Vanos rattle. Very common and not an issue. Its due to seals in the vanos adjusters that go bad over time and allow the oil pressure in the units to bleed off while not running. It requires the vanos to be removed to fix, which is a ton of work. There have been no bad effects noted from not fixing though. Just do a search in the e38 sub-forum for Vanos rattle. The e38 uses the same 4.4.

mikestik
09-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Excellent info! Thanks for the direction

YuriJ
09-21-2011, 11:55 AM
My 4.4L 2004, 165k had the following issues:
- Waterpump replacement (common)
- Radiator corrosion/leakage replaced (common?)
- rear differnential bushes replaced (if you want to test, go in reverse, back to D and listen carfully; my car made a metal click sound going fw again)
- 2 wishbones replace (think this is not common)
- Steerwheel house replaced (expensive and unsure if that common, but you'll notice it straight away, a vibration when turning the steer and a scrapping sound)
- Ventilator for interior makes a high beeping sound (common)
- Indication of 'selfleveling inact.' believe this is common; had it only once.

It sounds like my car is falling apart but actually its almost all acceptable wear, and if you budget for it than its no worry. The car is a great mix of power, comfort, speed and some off road capability, which makes it a great machine!!

dreamer85
09-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Any issues with 07-09 models? I'm looking to buy in that year range.

bimmerlova
10-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Currently looking at an 05 BMX x5 4.4L auto with 110k miles. Price is reasonable and it is a great looking, clean and well taken car of. I know a little about cars (I've successfully pulled motors out of Hondas/Acuras, replaced blown head gaskets, valve stem seals, timing belts, water pumps, alterators, you name it) but I've never worked on a BMW before. The Honda/Acura forum is LOADED with useful information about repairs and DIYs.

I kind of want a problem free vehicle for my wife to drive.

I'm particularly concerned about any drivetrain issues these cars may be prone to having. Going to look at this vehicle this weekend!

GSXRliterbikz
10-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Its the same driveline as the 745 and 50 e65/6 chassis, also 545 and 50 e60's. They are pretty active over in those subforums. Also there is xoutpost. The motors are well built, trans are so so.
An 05 will have the N62 motor (valvetronic). Do a google search to see all the common problems beyond what is listed here.

bimmerlova
10-21-2011, 02:01 PM
good information, thanks. Didn't make me feel better though, I've read a lot about 7 series tranny issues. =/

GSXRliterbikz
10-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Just remember that most people posting online are mad at their car. People that don't have problems usually don't post online. I bought a 3.0 cuz of the info I read on the n62. Now I wish I had gotten the v8.

chilliwilli
10-28-2011, 10:39 AM

I kind of want a problem free vehicle for my wife to drive.

A problem free E53 X5 post-100k miles...impossible. You're better off going Japanese if seeking reliability for the Mrs.
.2 cents from a 10 year E53 owner (3.0/4.4/4.6iS).

TiAgX5
11-02-2011, 12:25 PM
A problem free E53 X5 post-100k miles...impossible. You're better off going Japanese if seeking reliability for the Mrs.

Not true! Last summer I bought a late model year '03 sport package 4.4i E53 (one of the last M62 V8s produced, I refused to look at the N62s due to the intermittent shaft lever issues and increased difficulty of many repairs when compared to the M62. Ask anyone who has done a valley pan gasket on both engines!!!) I searched for almost a year before finding......

One owner
Under 100k miles (98k)
FULL BMW service records!!!!
Florida delivered
Clean CarFax showing car was ONLY registered in Fla. (no snow/salt)
BMW PPI went thru with no problems found
Owner trade for new Acura SUV (I bought from Sanford Acura)
90 Day Dealer Warranty
Cold Pkg
Premium Pkg
Rear Climate Pkg
Sport Pkg
Xenon Lights
Premium Sound Pkg w/DSP (worth every cent of the $1,200 sticker +)

Off the lot with tax, tag, title fees for under $15k.
In the past 18mos and 40k miles I have had to replace the waterpump, coolant tank and FSR (under $350. for all parts + $70 for the Bentley Manual). That's IT! I replaced ALL fluids/filters shortly after buying this X5, CHEAP INSURANCE!!!!

It regularly gets over 24mpg driven 75/80mph hwy (over 600 miles per tank, Tampa FL to Dallas TX with one gas stop).:redspot
Has even towed a 6k lb trailer on TWO of the runs between Tampa and Dallas (17mpg).

My point is, if you're buying a used X5, do NOT settle, find the RIGHT one!

WHAT?
11-02-2011, 06:00 PM
From a reliability standpoint - is there a preferred year / engine combo to target ? For example, it appears from my reading that the M54 3.0 i6's of 2005 had the best feedback..

GSXRliterbikz
11-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I would agree. I think pretty much any year 3.0 is good. 00-03 m62's arnt too bad. 04-06 n62's would be the least reliable, but most fun.

TiAgX5
11-03-2011, 11:08 AM
If you do go with a V8, be aware that when driving an SUV, you will do almost ALL of your driving with torque, NOT horsepower. I bring this up to point out the fact that both the M62s and N62s have IDENTICAL torque numbers, 324 lb-ft @ 3600 RPM. The N62 has an additional 25 hp at over 5000 RPM, but most owners of vehicles with over 100,000 miles and no manufacturer warranty will not run their vehicles like they are on a racetrack.

GSXRliterbikz
11-07-2011, 06:49 AM
My X has over 100k and has been good to me. Only Ball joints and sway bar end links for suspension. It needed a DISA valve and intake boot when I bought it. So far thats it. Bought it with 60k and am pushing 120 now.

chilliwilli
11-07-2011, 10:22 AM
I've little issue with the inline 6...def' the most reliable of the bunch. For me, it would've been perfect had it yielded similar power as the 35i.

chilliwilli
11-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Another common problem with BMW's and notorious with the E53's (similar reports on E70), water leaking into cabin. Not necessarily indicative of age but often traced to faulty sunroof cassette, drain tubes, or door vapor barriers/seals. Symptoms are moldy smell, wet carpet, water in glove compartment, water in spare tire area/sub box/DVD nav & CD changer area, water dripping through front map-light area, leaks at A-B-C pillars. Will cause electrical issues if neglected.

If culprit is the sunroof cassette, i've heard of little to no effective method to salvage....most expensive fix, if it requires replacement. Mostly all other leaks are not complicated to remedy. May require adhesive to secure vapor barrier or new barriers...removing A pillar to inspect pinched or clogged tubes, using compressed air to clear clogged tubes (drain tubes @ sunroof & rear trunk), securing door weather strips/clips...etc. An online search should reveal multiple methods to remedy, videos as well.

Clogged drain tubes may require routine cleaning especially if one parks under trees. If carpet becomes wet, the padding underneath will hold water for a very long period and will cause mildew if not aired out properly. Proper airing out will require removal of front seats and carpet trim to peel back carpets.

manbeer
11-27-2011, 11:29 PM

I don't know about Japanese, maybe Toyota but after owning a handful of bmws, a Lexus and a few other assorted cars I have to say my Nissan/ infiniti experience has been the worst by far. This car is such a POS that it forced me to dislike anything that came out of that entire country. 3x engines by 50k miles, 4 body control modules, suspension that never felt right stock or modified, tire feathering, you name it. As far as I'm concerned the only reliable cars are old cars that have minimal electronics and were decently maintained. Nothing that requires troubleshooting beyond common mechanical sense, amd something where parts are cheap and plentiful, preferably from a junkyard :)

TiAgX5
12-02-2011, 11:41 AM
I don't know about Japanese, maybe Toyota but after owning a handful of bmws, a Lexus and a few other assorted cars I have to say my Nissan/ infiniti experience has been the worst by far. This car is such a POS that it forced me to dislike anything that came out of that entire country. 3x engines by 50k miles, 4 body control modules, suspension that never felt right stock or modified, tire feathering, you name it. As far as I'm concerned the only reliable cars are old cars that have minimal electronics and were decently maintained. Nothing that requires troubleshooting beyond common mechanical sense, amd something where parts are cheap and plentiful, preferably from a junkyard :)

I agree. I have been the first owner of several Japanese cars that were headache vehicles. A late '80s Prelude SI that used to blow fuseable links in cold weather (usually while sitting in traffic at the Whitestone Bridge toll), I would always keep several fuses in the car for roadside replacement.
Also had issues with front brake rotor warpage on a few, the worst were Mitsubishi cars, one moderate stop from 80mph and the steering wheel would shake on each brake application thereafter.

540Indy
12-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Very nice and informative. So at the end of the day, it is just a BMW. This thread answered nearly every question I had on the X5. Here are the rest. I posted in a different E53 forum and no replies what so ever. So here is my thread.

Hey guys, first off I would like to wish everyone a merry christmas.

I have a few questions about these lovely beasts.

Ever since test driving a 01 4.4 sport I have had the itch on buying one. That thing was like my 540 in disguise when it came to performance. However, I hope the issues are not as severe as the 540. So here are my questions.

1- Does the 4.4 or 4.6 have the same cooling issues as the 540s? IE; Exploding fan clutch , or just total cooling system failures?

2- Is there any year model preferred over any other one? I am looking for a pre 2005.

3- From what I have read, it appears that the transmission seems to be a common failure point on them. If true, is it due to lack of maintenence? On the E39s I know the common mistake is to flush the system as opposed to just drain and fill.

4- Is there a need for two sets of wheels and tires (http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AB2&url=index.jsp)? Summer and winter? I have heard some embarassing storys on the X5s performance on the snow. Living in Indiana , we sometimes get to an upwards to 2 feet of snow at a time.

5- Is there a significant difference in performance between the 4.6 and the 4.4?

6- If I happen to find one that I am interested in and the PPI goes well. How much is too much? I have found several in the range of $11k-$15k with the milage range of 80k-115K miles. Is this an absurd price to pay or no?

7- Last but not least. What is the average life expectancy of an X5 that has been well maintaned?

I know this was a long thread and I thank you all for your time and input. But we all know that a "Good deal" on a Bimmer can sometimes comeback and bite you in the wallet.

I got my wife an 99 Lexus RX300 last year for a good deal. I have to say that the thing is a pretty relaible trooper. Closing in on 160k miles and zero issues. However, I cannot stand the damned thing. I was under the impression that Lexus stood for Luxury. Seats are comfortable but that is about it. That and it will drive thru places that my Explorer would get stuck in.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays. Be safe

GSXRliterbikz
12-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Very nice and informative. So at the end of the day, it is just a BMW. This thread answered nearly every question I had on the X5. Here are the rest. I posted in a different E53 forum and no replies what so ever. So here is my thread.

Hey guys, first off I would like to wish everyone a merry christmas.

I have a few questions about these lovely beasts.

Ever since test driving a 01 4.4 sport I have had the itch on buying one. That thing was like my 540 in disguise when it came to performance. However, I hope the issues are not as severe as the 540. So here are my questions.

1- Does the 4.4 or 4.6 have the same cooling issues as the 540s? IE; Exploding fan clutch , or just total cooling system failures?

Yup, same cooling system

2- Is there any year model preferred over any other one? I am looking for a pre 2005.

00-03 were the m62tu motor. Great engine when maintained. Beware of timing chain guides at higher mileage. Its the same motor as your 540. 04-06 are n62. Whole different beast.

3- From what I have read, it appears that the transmission seems to be a common failure point on them. If true, is it due to lack of maintenence? On the E39s I know the common mistake is to flush the system as opposed to just drain and fill.

Trans. is the same zf as other models, just adapted for AWD. If taken care of it would be fine. Problem is BMW's "no maintenance" program. I would rather have the v8's ZF trans than the I6's GM one.

4- Is there a need for two sets of wheels and tires (http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AB2&url=index.jsp)? Summer and winter? I have heard some embarassing storys on the X5s performance on the snow. Living in Indiana , we sometimes get to an upwards to 2 feet of snow at a time.

Snow tires are suggested. I have all seasons on now and it does OK, but not nearly as surefooted as it was last year on snows.

5- Is there a significant difference in performance between the 4.6 and the 4.4?

30 hp I believe.

6- If I happen to find one that I am interested in and the PPI goes well. How much is too much? I have found several in the range of $11k-$15k with the milage range of 80k-115K miles. Is this an absurd price to pay or no?

Pricing seems about right. Although 04's are starting to come down to that range too. My 04 w/110k on the clock is worth about 15 to 18k depending on weather its a pp or dealer.

7- Last but not least. What is the average life expectancy of an X5 that has been well maintaned?

I would expect an m62 to make it well past 200k. My 3.0 is still going strong and has required very little money to keep it in good shape. It was a VT. car before I bought it, so its been in the snow belt its whole life and it has no rust as of yet. Something that cant be said of my e38.

I know this was a long thread and I thank you all for your time and input. But we all know that a "Good deal" on a Bimmer can sometimes comeback and bite you in the wallet.

I got my wife an 99 Lexus RX300 last year for a good deal. I have to say that the thing is a pretty relaible trooper. Closing in on 160k miles and zero issues. However, I cannot stand the damned thing. I was under the impression that Lexus stood for Luxury. Seats are comfortable but that is about it. That and it will drive thru places that my Explorer would get stuck in.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays. Be safe

Good luck and happy hunting.

siucoharley
12-26-2011, 02:26 AM
How can I tell if I have a M62 or N62? I just bought my 2003 X5 4.4. Is it visual or what do I look for?

Also, the radio does not tune (functions and sounds ok, but only has one station). It's as though the antenna is not hooked up. How do I go about seeing where the disconnection is? Thanks (Also new to the forum - Merry Christmas everyone!)

GSXRliterbikz
12-26-2011, 07:45 AM
How can I tell if I have a M62 or N62? I just bought my 2003 X5 4.4. Is it visual or what do I look for?

Also, the radio does not tune (functions and sounds ok, but only has one station). It's as though the antenna is not hooked up. How do I go about seeing where the disconnection is? Thanks (Also new to the forum - Merry Christmas everyone!)

An 03 will have an m62tu. 04 model year was the n62.
Here is a pic of the m62 in my 7. Your X5 should look alot like mine.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn201/literbikz/CIMG2593.jpg

As for the radio, I'm not sure. What radio do you have? Business radio or Nav. screen? Never heard of that issue before.

siucoharley
12-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Guess I'm kinda glad not having the N62. With the issues I've read about the problems with the VANOS. There is plenty of power in my X5 the way it is. As for the radio, went I drove home (didn't check the radio on my dealer test drive - stupid me) the radio would not tune into any stations. After digging in the trunk a see there are a bunch of audio wires under the spare tire - looks like the previous owner had a sub woofer and maybe an amp in there? Also the right storage compartment had something there too as there are wires spliced into the factory harness. I just figured the antenna wire was not re- hooked up. Hope this is not an issue???? Wonder, was there suppose to be a multi-disc CD changer there?

Oh, and it's the business radio, no NAV. Thanks.

Gary

GSXRliterbikz
12-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Even if the ant. wasnt hooked up you should still be able to change the channels. You just wouldnt get reception. All the audio equipment for a non nav car should be in the spare tire well. I would try and get a used head unit to see if that helps. As far as I know the only thing that controls tuning in radio stations is the radio itself. I suppose I should clarify. Can you physically change the stations and just dont get reception? Or can you not even change the station?

If you have a cd changer, it would be in the drivers side cubby in the rear hatch. Most likely you dont have one, but it can be added. I bought a used one from an e46. Your X is pre wired for it. In the drivers side cubby there will be a wire that is taped up. It should just plug in and the radio in the dash will automatically recognize it.
FYI, later model cd changers are capable of playing MP3 cd's.

Nick Batzdorf
01-16-2012, 12:22 AM
The window regulator broke in the rear driver side and the drivers side window seems like it is stuck

While touch wood this hasn't happened in my '04 X5, that is a common problem with BMWs. I had five motor/regulator failures in my '85 325 and another five in my '94 740i (my two previous cars). Each time it was about $450. Really annoying.

My mechanic (who's great and knows BMWs inside out) told me that the part is plastic, and the windows you don't use regularly are the ones that are most susceptible to getting jammed (because the regular becomes deformed from staying in one position). So he told me to exercise the windows fairly regularly.

Is that why it hasn't happened in my X5? Who knows, but it and those amber dots in the radio going out are the two common problems I know about.

dannypiv
01-28-2012, 11:15 PM
I've got an 05 4.8is. Most of the time the car will start, but at other times it won't. It will keep turning over but just won't start unless I give it some gas and let it start on its own. I already replaced the 3 Throttle position sensors. Know how to fix this?

slowlanemcvane
02-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Hey all. I just pulled the trigger on a 2002 X5 3.0i yesterday and I am taking possession of the vehicle tomorrow.

'm a current BMW owner with a 2001 325i with the M54 engine, same basic layout just smaller displacement than the X5. I'm assuming that all of the basic concerns for the 325 still apply with the X5 (VANOS, power steering reservoir leak, oil filter housing gasket leak, cooling system issues) and I'm also assuming that the basic fluid change intervals would be the same? Also, I am assuming that the fluid types are identical to the 2.5.

The vehicle is in excellent condition, two-owner, 77,000 miles, all BMW service (verified by paper records and Carfax report), so I don't expect it to need much when it comes to servicing, but I like to be prepared (have a couple of spare coolant hoses, expansion tanks, t-stat housings, things like that) for the worst. Is there anything else that's goofy about these cars that I should get fixed or at least check? Thanks!

thatracer
02-13-2012, 02:01 AM
Hey guys, thinking on trading my 335i for a 2005 x5. Yes I know why, I need the space. My girls are growing and need more room. From what I can see the car looks mint. 64k miles 3.0i Asking around 18k. I dont mind the power. From reading this is not a bad engine and should have no problems. How can I tell which package it has? Ill be test driving it today or tomorrow. Anything I should be checking? Carfax is clean

this is it:
http://cimages.carsforsale.com/250381/B8F74DD0-7109-4689-A802-B5F5A2A2700E_1.jpg

GSXRliterbikz
02-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Wow, pricing has come down. I paid 22 for mine 1 1/2 years ago. Very similar to the pic. It looks to be a non sport model, but to see what else it has I'd need to see inside.
You should have the pano roof (being an 05). If you have the same cluster as a 5 or 7 series then it probably has the premium pack. That should have rear sunshades too.
Seems to be a good buy. Just ask for service records. Check the front CV shafts for torn boots, typical oil and power steering leaks. Cooling system parts.
Also, I dont know how many 3.0l's have it, but it seems to be pretty common for them to have a delay in the gas pedal. Its REALLY annoying on mine. Its a good 3-4 sec. delay. You need to find the "sweet spot" when trying to accel from a stop. From what I can tell its caused by something internal in the transmission.

dannypiv
02-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Hey guys, thinking on trading my 335i for a 2005 x5. Yes I know why, I need the space. My girls are growing and need more room. From what I can see the car looks mint. 64k miles 3.0i Asking around 18k. I dont mind the power. From reading this is not a bad engine and should have no problems. How can I tell which package it has? Ill be test driving it today or tomorrow. Anything I should be checking? Carfax is clean

this is it:

ALL X5's have problems with their bushings, I would replace them right away if I were you. Check the your fluids too, sometimes they leak. And check for any oil leaks. Other than that you should be ok! I'd recommend putting a fuel cleaner in when filling her up just in case, do it every now and then. Once you put it in, fill the car up, and drive it spiritedly (redlining, higher rpms).

Looks good though! That underride guard is 2k from dealer and the front bar is pricey too. Not a bad deal

snikwad
02-17-2012, 12:48 PM
wow, i used to drool over 4.8iS models, but now it seems i should stick to the more rare 4.6iS.
Speaking of, with the 4.6 only having a 2 year run, does it have any unique hard to get parts that one should be aware of?
You made a good point about the extra hp at the top not being needed, i did not think of that.
Pardon my ignorance, but the mention of door carriers being crappy on the E53, whats a door carrier? are we talking about the hinges, the door jamb, what?

oh, thanks for the awesome thread, btw.

dannypiv
02-17-2012, 03:16 PM
wow, i used to drool over 4.8iS models, but now it seems i should stick to the more rare 4.6iS.
Speaking of, with the 4.6 only having a 2 year run, does it have any unique hard to get parts that one should be aware of?
You made a good point about the extra hp at the top not being needed, i did not think of that.
Pardon my ignorance, but the mention of door carriers being crappy on the E53, whats a door carrier? are we talking about the hinges, the door jamb, what?

I've always drooled over 4.8is's. I've owned two 4.6is's, one being a dinan stage 2. I can totally assure you, the 4.8is's are unbelievable. I've finally gotten one, and I love it!

snikwad
02-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Really? Is it that much nicer. That motor scares me with that wretched valley pan coolant leak man. :(

dannypiv
02-18-2012, 12:26 AM
Really? Is it that much nicer. That motor scares me with that wretched valley pan coolant leak man. :(

Its worth it. The only problem I've had with mine is the starting issue I posted earlier in the thread, which no one has responded to me about.. And it leaks a teensy weensy bit of oil, nothing crazy. I don't think I've ever had the valley pan coolant leak

ByMyWord
02-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Hey Guys! New to Bimmerforums, just trying to get the hang of things, but anyway, question? I have a 2003 Bmw x5 3.0i, and everytime I put the heat on, I seem to smell oil inside of the car. Do anyone know what this may be about?? Thanks

GSXRliterbikz
02-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Best bet is to start a new thread, when you find a solution, post it here.

snikwad
02-27-2012, 07:08 AM
Hey Guys! New to Bimmerforums, just trying to get the hang of things, but anyway, question? I have a 2003 Bmw x5 3.0i, and everytime I put the heat on, I seem to smell oil inside of the car. Do anyone know what this may be about?? Thanks

dunno bout the v8s, but with the STRAIGHT 6, the general consensus is, if youre smelling oil in the cabin thru the HVAC, your valve cover gasket is leaking.
Since you only smell it when you put on heat, its prolly leaking at the back of the engine, and when you turn on the heat, the vapors come into the cabin with the heat off the engine.

johnrose
03-17-2012, 12:22 PM
My X5 is fabulous one.

Ruffian
04-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Third row seating? Is this specific to a certain model year and newer?

GSXRliterbikz
04-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Third row seating? Is this specific to a certain model year and newer?

07 and newer

snikwad
04-25-2012, 06:24 AM
With the iS models, do both of them come with air suspension front and rear or just rear?

Secondly, was it optional on the iS, or standard. Do i assume that all iS trucks have air suspension, and if so, as with the 1st question, rear or front and rear?

Removing this air suspension and putting lowering springs front and rear why isnt it done more often, since the air suspension seems to be such an expensive nightmare fix?

dannypiv
04-25-2012, 06:42 AM
With the iS models, do both of them come with air suspension front and rear or just rear?

Secondly, was it optional on the iS, or standard. Do i assume that all iS trucks have air suspension, and if so, as with the 1st question, rear or front and rear?

Removing this air suspension and putting lowering springs front and rear why isnt it done more often, since the air suspension seems to be such an expensive nightmare fix?

The 4.6is had rear air suspension, while the 4.8is had the full suspension. It came standard on both. And it depends on what goes wrong with the suspension system that makes it expensive. Eibach makes lowering springs for both, thinking about doing it to my 4.8is, just want to know if my air suspension would still work since the 4.8is has the ability to be raised and lowered with the button, and since the front raises up once you turn it off.

snikwad
04-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Thank so much for the answer. Im not interested in raising it, just need it nice and low if i do get one.
Im so torn, E46 M3 or X5 iS :( cant decide, love em both and cant afford both. :(
Wel shall see tho. thanks again.

dannypiv
04-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Thank so much for the answer. Im not interested in raising it, just need it nice and low if i do get one.
Im so torn, E46 M3 or X5 iS :( cant decide, love em both and cant afford both. :(
Wel shall see tho. thanks again.

No problem. And I have driven both, and I've owned two 4.6is's and now own a 4.8is. I can assure you that these are amazing cars. The performance is great and the looks are amazing, plus they are so practical. If you decide to buy an X5, buy my 4.6is!!

snikwad
04-25-2012, 05:39 PM
hehheh, it wont be anytime soon, and i dont think yours will last at that price.

dannypiv
04-26-2012, 12:01 AM
hehheh, it wont be anytime soon, and i dont think yours will last at that price.

I've had it up for a week, maybe even 2, and no one is buying! :( let me know if you're interested!

tmvE39E53Z32TT
04-26-2012, 12:03 PM

It's actually "Door Handle Carrier"
One day you open the door and hear a "pop", then the handle will now stick out a little and you cant open the door anymore. That's when it's broken. Not too hard to replace. I replace 2 window regulators, 1 door handle carrier on my daughter 02 X5 3.0
So far on my wife X5 M54 with 94K mi, no problem with them or window regulators yet (knock on wood) All the maintenance is up to date, new Vanos Seal, VCG, Sparkplugs. Cooling system overhaul is next.

snikwad
04-26-2012, 05:19 PM
cool, thanks guy :)

MMM46
08-13-2012, 11:54 PM

What about buying a car in warranty and getting another when the warranty runs out. Obviously research what car has good resale etc. I finance my BMWs for 4 years so by the time the warranty runs out it is paid off and I can choose to keep it if it has proven reliable or trade it in.

kirill
10-27-2012, 01:56 AM
I still have a ton of electrical issues with my 04 3.0 ... cant figure them out ...

chiggy
02-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Well at least you're comparing a Japanese (Lexus/Infiniti) luxury variant to the X5...still apples to oranges, imo, however a more realistic comparison. Would be interested in hearing which vehicle bimmerlova chose. Of the Japanese variants mentioned so far, at higher mileage, my suggestion would be an Acura MDX/RDX or Lexus SUV. I don't have enough experience with Infiniti to recommend to anyone...including the new FX45 i owned for a few months before dumping for another E53 4.6iS.

...Ditto on less electronics for reliability.

Best cars I've owned (about six) were Toyota Landcruisers-80 and 100 series. 60 series was rubbish. Lexus LX470 X4 and the best LX570 X1. The worst was a 2 year old Range Rover Sport supercharged with 30000kms on the clock. Electrical, overheating, brakes and rotors wearing out too early. The best part of that car was the 4.6 S/C Jag motor. The rest just a heap OS.
Just bought a 2003 BMW X5 4.6 is, really looking forward to picking it up in a couple of days.
I'll be hanging around this site quite a bit from now on.

rbelton
06-11-2016, 04:31 PM
Check out this YouTube playlist dedicated to E53 X5 common repairs and DIY videos. It covers a range from basic common problems to some more complex repairs:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9ZhL1nxVaY-D6Eb2j0BoZOPEauRHskow

rbelton
09-15-2020, 10:58 AM
Here's my list of 10 common E53 X5 repairs, with DIY video guides for each:

https://bimmerzeit.com/2020/09/14/the-top-10-most-common-e53-x5-bmw-repairs/